Anyone considering a new database project might like to ask themselves if the answers to the following questions are relevant ...
- What are the objectives of the new system?
- Who takes the blame if the system does not deliver measurable business benefits?
- How much money actually exists in the budget for this development?
- Who holds the budget?
- Will the project make the organisation more efficient or more effective?
- How does the proposed system fit with the information strategy?
- How long will the various stages take?
- Who will do what?
- Is there an off-the-shelf alternative?
- Will the staff have enough time to sit and explain how the system works?
- Is there someone who can write down ALL the rules for transforming the data?
- Do we have the hardware and software to do meet our aspirations?
- Do we have enough expertise?
- Do we have all the additional equipment necessary to do the job?
- Where will the programmer/developer sit?
- Has the IT Department told you that there are imminent changes to your soft and hardware?
- Who gains power and who loses it from this development?
- Does the project have top management approval and support?
- Will the system hold data about a living individual?
- Which folders are actually backed up at night?
- Will we hold a copy of the database off site?
- Physical Protection
- How will we stop equipment or data theft?
- Do we need a disaster contingency plan?
- Who will be on the project team and who will do their work whilst they are on it?
- Who will be responsible for database administration after the implementation date?
- Will we need a help desk?
- How will the project affect existing jobs?
- How will the new idea be introduced into the organisation?
- Should we have a publicity policy?
- How will we make the development accountable to the organisation’s needs?
- At what point will the design be frozen?
- What standards shall we use to design and deliver the system?
- What are the training needs and costs?
- Who will write AND maintain any procedure manuals?
- What input to the design do the Auditors want?
- Procurement/EEC Requirements – expenditure limits?
- Do we need to form a Euro committee?
Health and Safety
- Will an eyesight test for all staff be necessary?
- Have we bought the right chairs, footrests, and tables?
- What response times do we want?
- How should the test data be designed?
- Will we try parallel running during the implementation period?
- Is our network up to it?
- What are the cost implications if the project overruns?
- If key staff leave or become ill, or better still, win the lottery what happens?